My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Sunday, December 18, 2005

 

Emily, tea, and me

Yesterday I started a new Holiday tradition with Emily: Teddy Bear Tea at the Ritz Carlton.

It was raining cats and dogs but we dressed in our finest Holiday garb and ventured into The City. Emily wore a maroon velvet dress and a dalmation-spotted fur coat, both items given to her by Grammie Martha. I won't bore you with a description of what I wore; Emily was the star of the show.

We brought with us Emily's bestest friend, Bear. He wore a maroon velvet bow that matched Emily's dress. I could tell he was particularly stuffed with pride as we strode hand in hand into the lobby of the Ritz.

For those of you who haven't been, tea at the Ritz is a snazzy affair and the Teddy Bear Tea is no exception. Most of the attendees are little girls and their mothers, and everybody who attends goes home with a belly full of cocoa and cookies and a new teddy bear. We rarely (okay, never) let Emily drink cocoa out of a china cup, but she went to it like she was born to royalty.

After imbibing in cocoa, tea, champagne, warm scones, and little sandwiches that were almost (almost) too pretty to eat, we were entertained by a gay man wearing an elf suit and a giant teddy bear. Accompanied by a pianist, the elf sang a variety of traditional and non-traditional Holiday classics, including Jingle Bells, Frosty the Snowman, Do-Re-Mi, Sixteen Going on Seventeen, and Don't Cry Out Loud. The last one seemed an interesting choice for a Holiday tea filled with little girls, but what do I know? The kids thought it was funny and the moms did, too.

The show reminded me of Sing-A-Long-A Sound of Music meets Beach Blanket Babylon with a little La Cage Aux Folles thrown in for good measure. It was interesting, to say the least.

I was so proud to attend such a grown up function with my little girl. She's growing up right before my eyes! Maybe next year we can go with a grandma (or two!) and an aunt and make it a family tradition.