My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

 

Proof that Gap might care about my odd-sized feet

Last night we enjoyed a brief respite from the rain. When it hailed. The pedicure I got in January has been seen by nobody except my kids. Yet today I made one of those "It's the second day of Spring! And Gap just emailed me! And their email has a click here to go straight to flip flops link! And those flip flops are cute! Soon it will be flip flop weather!" based decisions.

It's a tad optimistic to buy flip flops in March even if you do live in California, however hope springs eternal and it is the second day of spring and all. So being the eternal optimist that I am, I put my faith in the idea that my feet have shrunk since weaning Thomas (don't laugh) as well as in the idea that if the flip flops don't fit I will return them to my nearest Gap store and they will not sit in my car for six months (I said don't laugh), and I ordered two pairs of flip flops in size 9.

I wear a 9 1/2.


But who could resist these? Cross rubber flip flops in basic black. Sure to be a hit at the playground or the pool.










Or these? Daring yet suitable for any occasion including lunch at the White House.









I made my impulse purchase while I sipped my morning coffee and then I fell victim to one of those silly online marketing surveys. I dutifully clicked to let them know how satisfied I was with my online shopping experience (fairly), how satisfied I was with the available shipping options (somewhat), and how satisfied I was with their selection (so-so). In the comments field, I typed, "I wish you had size 9.5 in the flip flops." I finished the survey and I've been waiting for the email telling me I won $20 ever since.

Which is why I got so excited when I saw that I had an email from gap.com Customer Service. The Gap! Emailing me! Here is what they wrote:

Dear Ms. Tsao,

We appreciate your comments to BizRate and wanted to reply to you. We are sorry to learn of your disappointment with the current size selection in the flip flops at Gap. However, we definitely appreciate feedback from our customers - both positive and negative - and your message will be shared with our Merchandising team. Customer feedback is the most important consideration when our merchants are planning what our merchandise selection will look like in the future.

We hope you will continue to visit gap.com to view our latest fashions.

If we may be of further assistance, please contact us via e-mail at custserv@gap.com or by calling 1-800-GAP-STYLE. Our Customer Service Consultants are available 24 hours a day for your convenience.

Sincerely,

(Name withheld to protect the innocent)
Customer Service Consultant

I don't know what is more sad, the fact that this is the most personal--as well as the most caring--email I've gotten in weeks or the fact that I wear size 9 1/2 and the size 9 flip flops that will be here in 4-6 days probably won't fit me.

Sigh.

***
Technorati tags: , , ,

Photos courtesy of gap.com