My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Monday, December 26, 2005

 

Cookies post-mortem

I did it! I made myself crazy baking six different kinds of cookies in that bizarre Holiday ritual also referred to as "baking a few cookies to give to the neighbors or whomever comes over."

There is no such thing as casually baking roughly 18 dozen cookies. That's 18 dozen, people. Also referred to as 18 times 12, which is a long way of saying two hundred and sixteen cookies. Give or take the raw dough equivalent of a couple of cookies that I braved Salmonella to eat furtively over the sink.

Anyway, I like to summarize after any major project that almost causes me to run screaming to the nut house, or in this case the semi-sweet morsels and nut house. Ha Ha.

Ha.

In my working mommy days, we called this a post-mortem. It's an apt term, no matter if you're a harried technical writer or a harried mommy. (P.S. That's harried, not hairy!)

The Cookies
L to R: Whipped Shortbread Cookies, Chocolate Rum Balls, Cinnamon Hazelnut Biscotti, Almond Cookies, Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars, Mom's Ginger Snaps


Things I want to remember for next year:

  • Start baking cookies a full two weeks before Christmas. There are many events that need cookies in those weeks. Need, I tell ya!
  • Make sure to have plenty of large plastic containers in which to store the cookies. Also can be used to give them away, too.
  • Cookies on doilies on plates are SLIPPERY! Cookies that end up on the floor can cause mommy to scream and cry. Ban doilies from the kitchen.
  • Ginger Snaps are the easiest to make plus they look good.
  • Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars are too hard to make plus they're rich enough to knock a large man on his behind. Next year make Chocolate Chip instead.
  • Chocolate Rum Balls are not for kids but old folks like them.
  • Cinnamon Hazelnut Biscotti are a pain to make and are ugly as sin unless you decorate them with white and dark chocolate drizzles.
  • Almond Cookies are my favorite. They're not too sweet. The recipe doesn't make enough; next year make two batches. Also, don't forget to garnish (pre-baking) with a sliver of almond on each.
  • Whipped Shortbread Cookies look festive but they have an odd texture. Not sure what the audience reaction is to them. More research is needed before declaring these worthy of another try.
  • In case I need reminding that baking Holiday cookies is worth the effort, I will refer to the following picture: