My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

 

Things I want my kids to know: How to code basic HTML


Twirly girl
Originally uploaded by marytsao.
I've been meaning to compile a list of the things I want my kids to know as they grow up and away from me. Kind of a "Mom's Little Book of Life Lessons" or something like that. Today while adding a link in my template to Daisy of Compost Happens, I had an ah ha! moment.

I want my kids to know basic HTML. Knowing how to hand-code a link is one of the most valuable skills anyone online can have. Feeling smug, I turned to Emily:

Me: Do you know what HTML is?
Emily: An H and a T?
Me: H.T.M.L.
Emily: That spells Emily?
Me: HyperText Markup Language.
Emily: Oh! I'm going to go wash my hands with soap now!

Hmm. Maybe the HTML life lesson can wait until she's four.