My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

 

Deep in the heart of stressless


Puzzle lover
Originally uploaded by marytsao
Life goes on, each day filled with a series of tasks. Some tasks are discrete and ends in themselves. Others are only parts of a whole. The amazing thing is that I'm getting things done and I'm not feeling stressed about it. Yes, there's lots to do, but as long as I move from one moment to the next, taking care of one thing then another, I can accomplish everything I need to and feel happy while I'm doing it. I found something online at Mama's Village a couple of weeks ago about the higher purpose of tasks. I like it a lot:

"The victory of success is half won when one gains the habit of setting goals and achieving them. Even the most tedious chore will become endurable as you parade through each day convinced that every task, no matter how menial or boring, brings you closer to achieving your dreams."

Og Mandino
1923-1996, Author


It's possible I should not be so relaxed about my workload. After all, we're leaving for vacation in just two short days and the suitcases are still in the closet. Shouldn't I be stressed out and frantically compiling lists of things to bring and do? I will contribute my current stressless state to the fact that I've been slowly working towards the goal of our vacation for weeks. Every day I've done a couple more things towards preparing us for our getaway and now that we're just two days away, there's not much left to do except put our clothes in the suitcases, make a goody bag of toys and books for each kid, pack a cooler of treats for the journey, and hit the road.

(Oh, and clean the kids' bathroom before we go. In my odd, cleanaholic fashion, I can't leave behind a dirty "boy in the midst of potty training" bathroom. How horrible it would be to come back from a relaxing vacation to the stench of a dirty bathroom. *Shivers*)

Maybe I'm not stressed because we go on vacation a lot. Packing for a family of four no longer boggles my mind. I just do what I've done before and know that if I forget to pack something, we'll just detour to the nearest Target and pick it up. No problem. We're only going to Southern California; it's not like they don't have stores down there.

Right?!?!

Tomorrow is Emily's last day of preschool for the year. Speaking of stressless, I didn't stress once this past year about her enrollment in preschool. (Once I got past the stress of whether or not I should put her in preschool.) To thank her teachers, I got each of them a thank you card and a $25 gift certificate to Target. I figure everybody loves Target, and I am very thankful that she's had a great first year of school. Just think: this was her first year of 15 years of preschool, grammar, middle, and high school. And then there's college, too, and maybe graduate school and more. This year of learning set the stage for many more years to come. When I think about the positive experiences she's had this year and the effect that will have on her lifetime of learning, I understand that there's no gift certificate big enough.