My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Sunday, November 20, 2005

 

NaNoWriMo Day 20: Reality check

Hello? Hello? Is there anybody out there?

There must be a name for what I'm feeling right now--Isolated Writer Syndrome or something. I'm cranking out the words*, but I feel that it's at the expense of something else, something I can't quite put a finger on... wait, that's it... yes, it's friends.

Writing is a lonely business.

Besides showering and leaving the house, I haven't even found the time to blog about subjects like my kids, my husband (our third anniversary was last week), my backyard remodel (finished two weeks ago; photos coming soon, I swear!), or me doing anything else besides NaNoWriMo. I miss blogging. I miss writing personal essays that I think are funny even if nobody else does.

Plus I don't smell pretty and my underarm hair looks like a guy's. No wonder I've lost all of my friends.

But let me remind both you and me why I'm doing this horrible novel writing thing. Right now, my tired brain can think of four reasons:
  • to see if I can write fiction (quite possibly)
  • to see how I feel about writing fiction (it only hurts a little bit)
  • to prove that I can finish what I start (so far, so good)
  • to feel good about myself (I am woman, hear me type)

    Just nod if you can hear me.
    ______________________________________________________

    *I've written 42,119 words at last count; for those of you who have just joined me, I'm doing NaNoWriMo and my goal is to write a novel of 50,000 words by the end of this month.

    Technorati tags: ,