My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

 

There's so much that we share that it's time we're aware

Can it really be only 8:00 PM? I am so tired that I'm about to fall over on the keyboard. This post is going to be short and sweet. (Note to myself: I promise!)

We were up early again today; no matter how late we put these kids to bed they're always up at the crack of dawn. There's no way we'll ever miss a free hotel breakfast as long as the kids are with us.

Disneyland opened at 9:00 AM. We were there at 9:05. We walked again and felt even more virtuous than we did yesterday. Although judging by the snugness of my waistband, I'm sensing that the walking isn't doing much to offset the huge plates of pasta, gigantic greasy breakfasts, and large quantities of booze that we're consuming. Oh well. We're on vacation, right? They'll be plenty of time for portion control after we get home. Which--since we've run out of clean clothes--is going to be tomorrow.

Anyway, back to today. We hung out in Disneyland for an hour or so until California Adventure opened. We took the kids on Mr Toad's Wild Ride, which actually was quite freaky, and Emily didn't like it one little bit. That set the stage for a very unsatisfactory Teacup Ride. I didn't join them this time; I found out yesterday that the ride makes me nauseated. Emily found out today that being on the ride without me makes her frantic. Mike asked, "When she cries for me does she say that I'm not coming back?" "No," I replied. "That's what she says about you," He told me. Wow, heavy stuff. It's amazing how strong the fear of abandonment is in a little girl who has never even experienced it.

We liked California Adventure park, maybe even more than Disneyland. It was smaller, more manageable, and less crowded than its older brother. It also seemed geared to younger kids, which worked for us. We saw a couple of shows, and did I mention they sell booze at California Adventure? Oh yes, they do. Margaritas and Beer. We didn't have any but it was nice to know it was there if we needed it.

After four or five hours of sun and fun, we took the shuttle back to the hotel and relaxed until dinner. I wrote a BlogHer post about Tuesday memes, Mike played poker, and Emily napped. Thomas was supposed to nap but instead he decided to spend the time bouncing off the walls. For dinner, we went to Mexi-Casa, recommended by Squid. It was yummy and so cheap Mike had to comment about it to the waitress. I think he was in awe that our dinner for four was $20. And I had a glass of wine, too. I have a feeling that if we lived in the area, we would be eating at that restaurant a lot. Thanks for the tip, Squid!

And that pretty much sums up our last day at the happiest place on Earth. Tomorrow we wake up, pack up, eat up, check out, and head out for parts well known: home sweet home.

***
Technorati tags: ,