My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Friday, February 23, 2007

 

Something that happened and some things that are gonna happen

I forgot to mention that last week I saw author Peggy Orenstein give a reading from her new book Waiting for Daisy: A Tale of Two Continents, Three Religions, Five Infertility Doctors, an Oscar, an Atomic Bomb, a Romantic Night and One Woman's Quest to Become a Mother. Part of what she read is in this adaptation she wrote for O Magazine. I'm looking forward to reading her book and I'm sure I'll tell you more about it when I have. Based on what I heard at her reading, I can tell it's going to be good in an honest, gut-wrenching, and painfully funny kind of way.

Our calendar is filling up. Next weekend I'm out of town with friends on a mom's weekend away, and in April the kids and I are going to visit family in Chicago. This year is Emily's first spring break, but we're going to skip Cancun in favor of hanging out with the family over Easter. In May, Mike and I will take a mom and dad's weekend away while my mom stays here with the kids.

Speaking of "Grandie Martha and Bumpa John" (as the kids call them), they'll be here tomorrow for a whirlwind weekend of cake eating, brunch going, and Academy Awards watching. Should be fun! I hope The Queen wins an Oscar; it's a great movie that had me sobbing into my hanky almost the entire movie.

And in a move that didn't have me crying but did have me both shocked and amazed, Mike bought us tickets to see Legally Blonde: The Musical, which we'll go to tomorrow while my mom and stepdad babysit. Omigod! My husband! Bought tickets! To a musical! This is a man who hasn't even seen Phantom of the Opera or Rent so it's not like he's a musical fanatic. He's a good husband, and this is clearly an act of love. Life is good.

Have a great weekend, everybody.