My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

 

April Perfect Post Award: Love Your Neighbor


The Original Perfect Post Awards – April 2007
"And really how simple it all is: in one day,
in one hour, everything
could be arranged at once!
The main thing is to love your neighbor as yourself,
that is the main thing, and that is everything, for nothing else matters."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky,
"The Dream of a Ridiculous Man"

It's time once again for the Perfect Post Awards, that veritable institution created by mommybloggers Lucinda of Suburban Turmoil and MommaK of Petroville.

This month, I am awarding Nancy of Mom, Ma'am, Me for her post The dog days of April. In her post, Nancy writes about helping out her elderly neighbors by walking their dog Greggie. It wasn't easy to persuade her proud neighbors that they needed her help, but Nancy didn't give up:


"I knew after this particular accident, it was extremely important to help out with Greggie, if for no other reason than to give Mr. and Mrs. S piece of mind. But this time, instead of asking Mrs. S if it would be OK to walk him, I got smart. I basically started showing up to walk Greggie at certain times of the day, and enlisted other neighbors to do the same when I must be at work. Now when I arrive at her door twice a day, Mrs. S just gives me a resigned sigh, and hands over the leash."


I liked Nancy's post because it's a wonderful example of both neighborly kindness and how it isn't always easy to help others. If we care, we persevere. It feels good to do so. Thanks for the reminder, Nancy!

To see all of the posts awarded a Power to the Blogger Award, check out The Library on MommaK's site.