My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Thursday, July 07, 2005

 

Now that's hot

It's a busy day for me and the kids. This morning we dropped Tutu Jewel off at the airport so she could catch her return flight back to San Antonio. Bye, Tutu! Her visit seemed much too short, which I suppose is the sign of a good visit.

We're now waiting for RotoRooter to show up, diagnose, and hopefully replace our broken water heater. Mike noticed we had water around the foundation of the house and he traced it to the water heater closet. He's good at that kind of thing. I saw the water and hoped that it would simply disappear.

Later this afternoon, an arborist is coming over to take a look at the Monterey Pines in our backyard that we want to remove. We have to apply to the county's Planning Comission office for a permit to remove them. Along with our application we need to submit a letter from an arborist confirming the reason why we want to remove the trees: they're diseased, they're infested with beetles, and they're at their end of life (they're as old as the house -- about 45 years). Once We get the arborist's letter we can submit our permit application. It will take up to 6 weeks for the county to process the application plus 10 days during which time we will have a notice posted on our house with our intent to remove the trees. I think they'll also notify our close neighbors in writing. After THAT, we finally can get the trees removed, which should take less than a day. I'll have to get some pictures; I'm sure it will be an amazing and frightening event to witness. Once we get the trees removed, we can get the sprinklers and sod put in and the deck built. Then it's backyard party time!! Hopefully the party will be this year.

Later this afternoon I'm going to check out a local home day care center. A woman in my neighborhood offers drop-in daycare at her home on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. If it feels right, I'm going to start dropping Emily off at her house a couple of times a week for a couple of hours at a time. I think it would do me good to get a break once in awhile.