My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Thursday, September 08, 2005

 

Help. Send Theatre.

I've done a lot of writing lately, but I haven't posted much of it. Why? Because it's really dark and really introverted and some of it is really quite depressing. Not much of it is about motherhood; everything's going great in that department. No, most of it is about my life and memories about growing up and various other topics that I dunno, just don't seem appropriate to share at this moment. Some of what I've written could benefit from a letter of introduction or at least a shot (or two) of tequila. My writing is being affected by Katrina. I just can't seem to write anything humorous or light or upbeat.

Makes sense.

So I've decided that what I need more of in my life is ... theatre! Lucky for me, the San Francisco Fringe Festival is going on this week. I've bought tickets for three Fringe Festival shows:

* Are Ya Working? by Steven Karwoski
* 3 Plays About Your Mom by Garret Jon Groenveld, Aaron Loeb, Geetha Reddy
* Walking Back to Brooklyn by Murray Meyer

There are some other offerings that I thought about seeing but decided against because I want light. I want humorous. I want something to help take my mind off things.

Later this month I'll be in New York, the home of Broadway and Off Broadway and Off-Off Broadway. We've got tickets for Wicked, which I've heard is great, but I'm not scheduling any other productions until I'm there and can buy some cheap same-day tickets. I've already decided that most of my theatre-going in New York will be by myself and I'm so excited about that. I love going solo to the theatre. I get a lot more out of it when I'm alone with my thoughts and analyses and critiques.

And as my friend Liz pointed out, there is nothing better than sipping a glass of champagne at intermission and eavesdropping on the conversations around you. I'll drink to that.

I am hoping to write about my thoughts and analyses and critiques so look out Internet, some mini reviews are coming your way!