My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Thursday, June 08, 2006

 

A recipe to end the mommy wars

My review of Leslie Morgan Steiner's Mommy Wars is up on Literary Mama. Check it out if you get the chance!

Speaking of my own personal mommy war, today the checkout guy at Trader Joe's accused me of being a lazy cook. Apparently, he noticed that two of the pieces of meat I bought were the kind that come pre-marinated. I wanted to reply, "Hey, notice how many fruits and vegetables I have in that cart, young man!" but then I realized that all of the veggies I bought were the kind that come pre-washed. I guess he was right; I give up.

At least he carded me and told me I only looked thirty, as if that's any consolation.

Okay, it is.

Here's a recipe for my new favorite salad. It's full of strong flavors and I love it. This salad is easy to make and therefore great for both SAHM lazy cooks and working mom lazy cooks. If you need more protein, add cubed or slivered ham. If your kids don't eat "leaves" or "cheese that looks rotted," serve them the cubed ham with some raw carrots and a small bowl of ranch dressing and call it dipping sticks. Dinner in 10 minutes from one lazy cook to another. Friends?


Spinach Salad with Broccoli and Gorgonzola

  • Bag of pre-washed baby spinach leaves
  • Half a wedge of Wisconsin Gorgonzola cheese (or more is good, too)
  • 2-3 handfuls broccoli florets, roughly chopped
  • Ranch dressing (I like Trader Joe's Organic, in the refrigerated section)

  • Optional: cubed or slivered ham

    Arrange artfully on plate. Dig in.

    Serves 2 - 4


Quote of the day: There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling! --Comic Book Guy, "The Simpsons"

***
Technorati tags: , , , ,