My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Saturday, September 09, 2006

 

Color me out of beer

Dang, I just finished the last beer in the house and have had to move on to that funky sour apple pucker stuff, which is more than fine on a hot summer evening, but which seems just wrong on a fall night.

Yes, fall is here. The days are getting shorter, the wind is whistling down the chimney, and I'm one more night of fighting over the blankets away from getting out the electric blanket.

Today I almost had a heart attack when I realized that it was almost the middle of September and I still haven't gotten the kids their Halloween costumes. For a woman who would have made an excellent Boy Scout (We share the same motto: Be Prepared.), this is just wrong. I grabbed a catalog from our stack of junk mail and turned to the pages of Halloween costumes. "Emily," I said, "which one of these costumes do you like?"

"That one," she replied.

"This one?" I asked.

"Ya!" She shook her head to confirm her answer and ran off.

My kid wants to be Barney for Halloween.

Now you know why all of the beer is gone.

IMG_0762


In other riveting news, the dumpster departed our house Thursday morning filled to the rim with crap, junk, and useless stuff. I'm sad to see it go; it was a gigantic trash receptacle that actually was quite handy to have in the driveway. It made our regular garbage can look puny.

I'm now on to Phase IV of Mike's room remodel. Phase III consisted of going to IKEA twice and getting a bunch of stuff, including desks, rugs, drapes, lamps, and bookshelves. I'm so IKEA friendly, it hurts. I know where to park, how to shop, where everything is located, and the best time of the day to go. I'm not sure if that's cool or pathetic, but I'm hoping the former.

So Phase I was getting rid of a bunch of junk and trash. Phase II was deciding what should go in his space to give him the work areas that he needs. He's getting two work surfaces: one is desk height and one is counter-top height. The higher work surface will be for doing electronics, putting together computers, etc. The other desk will hold his computer, monitors, and personal stuff. Phase III was IKEA shopping. Phase IV, which I am working on this weekend, is painting his room a beautiful masculine blue. I was able to do half the room today and I hope to finish it tomorrow.

I also started Phase V, putting together the furniture. Emily helped me put together two Billy bookcases -- pardon the IKEA talk. I felt all powerful role model-y today. I like the fact she sees mommy painting and putting together furniture. Hopefully it will offset all of the other, more traditional housekeeping stuff she sees me doing.

Where are we? Oh ya, Phase VI involves more shopping, this time at The Container Store for tons of Elfa shelving for above both work stations and then at A SPECIAL SECRET STORE for A SPECIAL SECRET ITEM. That I cannot tell you about because there is a slim chance that Mike will read this post and I don't want him to know what it is.

There you have it. I'm in the throes of putting together my husband's office. I know it sounds like I'm rushing the process, but not when you consider that we've lived here for two years and most of his personal stuff is still in boxes. This is a project that's been a long time coming.

***
Technorati tags: , ,