My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

 

A Life, Offline

Lots of life events going on around here. Let's see...

Thomas had his two-year check-up today. Dr. B pronounced him "healthy and happy," and said that I am "lucky" and "doing a great job." Because Thomas is in the 75th percentile for height and slightly less than 50th for weight, Dr. B once again declared him "long and lean," a title anybody would be happy to get. And when I write anybody, I mean me.

I am reading Twyla Tharp's book The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life. It's an interesting book about the process behind discovering and using one's creative abilities. I'll write about it more in the future. Has anybody read it? What did you think?

We have lots of holiday parties coming up -- five in the next week. I've bought hostess gifts for all five. Thank you again for your suggestions. For some, I bought CDs -- Il Divo, Diana Krall, Chris Botti. For one family, I bought a Polish glass ornament from Bloomingdales (worth it for the box alone), and for a couple of others I got fancy popcorn in tins and fancy cookies. Oops, that's more than five presents. Well, I'm pretty sure a couple more social events will sneak up on me, and dammit, I'll be prepared!

For each of Emily's two preschool teachers, I got a tall mug with hot cocoa mix and chocolate-dipped marshmallows. I'm also making them personalized thank you notes with pictures and drawings by a certain, special little girl.

At tea


The only person I'm not done shopping for is Mike. He is such the guy who has everything. I did come up with a couple of great ideas, but when I casually mentioned them to him (to get his casual feedback), he went ahead and bought the items before I could! That man is impossible.

I've put off holiday cookie baking until next week, but I'll get it done. Lethargy and indecisiveness will not drag me down!

Oh, and Emily and I went to our annual holiday tea today. Unfortunately, I blew it and didn't call the Ritz Carlton in time to get a reservation for Teddy Bear Tea. Instead, we went to The Fairmont on Nob Hill for Nutcracker Tea. It was nice--good tea, food, and champagne--but not as festive as the Teddy Bear Tea and there were no other kids there; instead of a teddy bear, Emily got a nutcracker tree ornament. Next year I have to remember to call the Ritz Carlton in November to get a reservation.

But regardless of the venue, the fact we spent the afternoon together as a mother-daughter team was really great. With two kids, I don't often get a chance to spend time with just one. I'd like to do that more often.

The girl and I
The Girl and I


***
Technorati tags: , ,