My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

 

The Year of the Tsao


Self portrait with milkshake
Originally uploaded by marytsao.
Omigod! Legally Blonde: The Musical was great! Omigod! It turns out that it debuted in San Francisco, and we accidentally caught it on closing night. Its next stop is Broadway, and if the audience at the show we saw is right, it should do very well. I heard one guy on the way out suggest it would win a Tony Award for Best Musical. I loved it, and I especially loved how many young girls were in the audience. It reminded me of when I saw Annie and Best Little Whorehouse In Texas when I was in Junior High. I can't wait until Emily is old enough to go to the theater. Next week I'm taking her to see Disney On Ice -- it's a start!

It's been raining here lately, California's version of winter. I love hanging out with the kids in our family room with its walls of windows, hearing the rain beat down on our roof and seeing the water collect outside. There's nothing like a rain storm to make a home seem super cozy. I'm always thankful for a roof over my head but never more than when it's raining cats and dogs.

Tired... Today was a good day and I had a good balance of work time and me time. This afternoon, I went into San Francisco to visit the Museum of the African Diaspora (MOAD). Their current exhibit Slavery: InHuman History was informative and moving. I particularly enjoyed the three short films showing in the Freedom Theater: The Story of Toussaint L'Ouverture and the Haitian Revolution; Howard Thurman: Spirit of the Movement; and Nelson Mandela and the End of Apartheid. One of my goals this year is to explore more museums; there's so many I haven't visited.

After spending a couple of hours in the museum, I had tea and a vanilla bean cream puff at Beard Papa's. Man, that place makes a mean cream puff; it was hard to stop at one. While I was attempting to daintily eat my cream puff while not losing even a drop of cream, a guy at the next table said to me, "Just put the whole thing in your mouth. It will fit." I suggested that if I was alone, I might be more inclined to eat it in one bite, and we laughed and shared a joke between cream puff eaters. Cream puff eaters rule.

Mike and I have made a monumental decision. We've decided that we're going to Burning Man* this year, and ... wait for it ... we're taking the kids! We've bought our tickets, and we're thinking about transportation. (tricked out short bus?) We're still working out the details, but we're definitely going and I'm amazed at how much I'm looking forward to it. Yes, it will be a lot of preparation and work, but it will be a great family adventure that Emily--and possibly Thomas--might actually remember. Exciting! This is going to be a great year; I may have to start scrapbooking.

---
*If you have no idea what Burning Man is, check out this Wikipedia entry. To become further confused, read this McSweeney's essay by G. Xavier Robillard titled Summer Vacation at Burning Man.