My Photo
Location: Northern California

Read all about the adventures of the Tsao Family during the summer of 2012

Saturday, November 10, 2007


Honk if you heart spinach

While driving home from San Francisco yesterday, I saw a pick-up truck with "Honk if you heart spinach" written across the back.

I honked.

Family lore has it that when pregnant with me and my sister, my mother's favorite snack food was spinach. I don't know how she ate this leafy veggie, whether it was fresh in a salad or as a side dish to a bowl of ice cream, but I imagine that it was straight from the can and warmed up on the stove, since that's the only way I can remember spinach being served when I was a small child.

Now you have to remember that my mother gave birth to twins, two seven pound babies, a feat the details of which she has permanently removed from her memory banks because it was so horrible. Two seven pound babies in one tiny uterus is quite an accomplishment; clearly the spinach had something to do with it.

Here's an easy recipe and a good way to get an entire day's worth of vegetable servings in one sitting. I dedicate this recipe to my mother, who did her best to instill in me a love of spinach before I was even born.

Scrambled spinach with eggs

Olive oil spray (or butter)
One bag pre-washed baby spinach
3 eggs
cheese (optional)
seasoning salt
garlic powder

* Spray large skillet with olive oil spray. Warm over medium heat.

* Empty entire bag of spinach into skillet, stir to coat with spray and sprinkle with a little bit of garlic powder. Leave alone.

* Meanwhile, scramble three eggs. Add cheese if desired and a sprinkling of seasoning salt and pepper.

* Return to spinach, stirring until all is wilted and has become a mound of green goodness. This process takes only 3-5 minutes total.

* Add egg mixture to skillet with spinach, and stir to scramble. Take pan off heat when eggs have reached desired hardness.

* Serve with buttered toast or a warm tortilla. Especially good with salsa!

* Serves two.