My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Friday, November 02, 2007

 

Of teddy bears and sour grapes

Two years ago I took Emily to Teddy Bear Tea at the Ritz Carlton in San Francisco. It was a sweet afternoon of mother-daughter bonding, and I vowed to make it an annual tradition.

Last year I lamented the fact that I called too late to get reservations at the Ritz. We had our holiday tea at the Fairmont, which was nice but not as fun as the holiday tea extravaganza at the Ritz. I vowed that I would make reservations in November this year.

Apparently, November 1 is still too late to make reservations for Teddy Bear Tea at the Ritz Carlton in SF. I called yesterday and there are no available spots. I called the Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay, too. Booked. Solid.

Insert long string of child-unfriendly curses here!

I suppose this year we could go back to the Fairmont, or we could try the Palace Hotel or the King George Hotel, both in San Francisco. Or I could take her to a local tea room and present her with a teddy bear that I've bought and wrapped in a pretty box. I realize that an afternoon of mother-daughter bonding could take place at McDonald's, but I enjoy going to a fancy afternoon tea, too. I will now put on my thinking cap and come up with a splendid and creative alternative that blows doors on that stuffy, old Ritz Carlton and their faded chintz settees and real piano playing. Harumph! I'll take my tea with sour grapes, please.

The making of this particular tradition is going to be more difficult than I thought.