My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

 

From people pleaser to people alienator

I'm tired so this post is going to be short and to the point.

I think most readers of this blog understand that what I post here is a partially inaccurate portrayal of my life, but for history's sake, I feel I need to set the record straight. Yes, there's lots of good times and happy moments, but there are just as many difficult times, harsh words, aggravating moments, and events that I can't write about because to do so would violate other people's privacy or just make me look like a raving bitch.

And let's be honest; it's rarely one's intent to write a blog that reveals the dark side of her personality. I don't want to be remembered as a bitch, but sometimes I am one, and sometimes I am a less-than-perfect mom. For example, I rarely write about instances like the one I put my kids through today when I--sick and tired of their crying and whining--slammed on the brakes so hard their chicken McNuggets flew out of their hands and onto the floor. Oh, and then when I threw their Chicken McNuggets back at them, I screamed, "Here's your fucking Chicken McNuggets!" Definitely not one of my finer moments. Not to mention the fact that it was the second day in a row the kids have eaten McDonald's for lunch.

So please don't read this blog and feel inferior about your own life, your parenting skills, your housekeeping skills, your wardrobe, or your future. (I threw the last one in for comedic relief.) There's as much to my life that goes unwritten that gets carefully edited and put out on the Internets.

Also, I had to fire my part-time nanny today so if you were envious of the fact I had one, you can be envious no more. After telling me the reason she didn't make it to my house by 12:15 PM was because she had taken a sleeping pill and overslept, and after realizing I was going to have to take two kids to a parent-teacher conference, I thanked her for the two years she had taken care of my kids and told her I'd send her a check in the mail. Of course, this isn't the first time she's been late, called in sick, or completely flaked on me. But this is the first time I decided that I can't put up with it any longer. Apparently my months of therapy are paying off and I'm developing a backbone. Huh. Feels both really good and really horrible.

Tomorrow the kids and I leave for the Land of Enchantment, New Mexico, to visit my cousin and her family. We'll be in a little valley just off the high road to Taos and she has no computer. How novel is that? So until next week, you can find me here:


View Larger Map