My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Sunday, January 01, 2006

 

A little bit of heart

So far I am completely in love with 2006.

First, I was able to stay up past midnight last night. I haven't been able to do that in over four years, thanks to pregnanc(ies), small babies, or sleep deprivation issues. Unfortunately, I was alone with my accomplishment; Mike hit the sack around 10:30. When he woke up around 2 AM, he came in the family room to drag me into bed and found me on the couch lying in a pool of drool. The TV was on and I was surrounded by empty Cheetos bags and See's candy wrappers. Ahh, good times.

Today Mike and I continued the good times by taking the kids to the Exploratorium, an interactive, hands-on learning museum in San Francisco. The kids had a blast and we got there early so it wasn't very crowded. Even though I had a teeny weeny headache from last night, it was nothing compared to how I used to feel on any given New Year's Day back when I was footloose and fancy free. It felt good to be out and about today--the first day of 2006--with my husband and my kids, enjoying life without feeling that someone had taken a sledgehammer to my head.

After the museum, we met family and friends for dim sum at the Mayflower Seafood Restaurant on Geary. The wait was incredibly long, especially since I was holding 20+ pound sacks-o-love the entire time. But after fifty minutes, we finally were seated and the excellent pork buns and shrimp dumplings and sticky rice and salt-and-pepper shrimp and taro root dumplings and lots of hot tea took our minds off the fact that we no longer could feel our arms.

But my favorite moment so far in 2006 came when I was reviewing the pictures from our day and found this one. I will never grow tired of how it feels to be loved like this.