My Photo
Location: Northern California

Read all about the adventures of the Tsao Family during the summer of 2012

Tuesday, July 11, 2006


On Trolls

Some of you may remember that innocent little rant I wrote a couple of weeks ago that caused a tiny war in comments.

A couple of months ago I was evangelizing blogging to a group of writers. One of them seem concerned about the possibility of trolls leaving nasty comments on her blog. I laughed and replied, "Frankly, you'd be lucky to have a troll! That means somebody noticed you!" Apparently, I have been noticed.

Hey, I'm a blogger; I obviously like attention. But what annoys me about trolls is when they insult not me but other readers of my blog. What is my responsibility as a blogger to protect my readers from malicious comments left for them by trolls? Do I have a responsbility?

I blogged about this today for BlogHer. If you've got an opinion, go there and leave a comment or leave one here. Wikipedia advises bloggers to ignore trolls, which is what my grandma would have said and which is usually good advice. What do you think?

Technorati tags: , , ,