My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Monday, November 06, 2006

 

Blogging the blues away

[Updated: I did it! Word count is now at 12,196. I'm back on track! Feels good.]

I've got the blahs, the blues, whatever you want to call them. I hate arguing with Mike; it tends to bring in a cloud of hurt feelings and silence that lingers for days.

I'm glad that the kids and I have nothing planned for the day. I am working on my novel and they're making foam sticker placemats. The sun is streaming in through the windows and the sky is blue. I have thoughts of Thanksgiving on my mind. I'm going to do a combination of buying ready-made food and cooking this year. I'll order a cooked turkey from Whole Foods and make several side dishes. I'm thinking the old favorites but with a twist: sour cream and chive mashed potatoes, creamy brussels sprouts... Yum. Not sure yet if I'll make or buy the pie; there doesn't seem to be much difference between store-bought and homemade pumpkin.

Isn't it amazing that it's almost Thanksgiving? I've spent the last three days at local artisan craft festivals so I've made a good dent in my Christmas shopping, too. Last week I went to a local event called Dickens House, which is a benefit to raise money for a private grade school. A team of amazing moms from the school takes a local home (a nice one) and has it completely redecorated. Then they fill every room with things to buy: objects d'art, picture frames, candles, specialty food items, toys and stuffed animals. It's an amazing event.

Yesterday, Emily and I went to the Harvest Festival in San Francisco. This is a gathering of lots of different artisans and crafts people. They also had food and entertainment, including a magician and a local clogging group. The cloggers were wild! Michael's craft store sponsored a craft table for the kids, and Emily made Thomas a custom door knob hanging. Shhhh! Don't tell him!

The only drawback to shopping for Christmas presents at crafts festivals is that I usually find an equal number of gifts for myself, too. Yesterday I bought the most amazing necklace and earrings made out of polished shell by an artisan out of Capitola. I'll have to take a picture and post it. As soon as I'm over the guilt.

Okay, I feel better already. Writing does wonders for the soul. Thanks for your feedback and suggestions about the money issue, too. I know that I overreacted yesterday. Hopefully I can cook my way back into Mike's heart with a good meal tonight.

I've got to get working on my novel. 5,000 words today or bust to bring my word count up to 12,000. Wish me luck!

***
Technorati tags: ,