My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Saturday, November 25, 2006

 

Day 25: Liveblogging NaNoWriMo

Well, folks, it's day 25 of NaNoWriMo and my novel languishes at 40,126 words. Clearly, I need to kick some behind today if I'm going to finish this thing by midnight.

Can I write 9,874 words in one day? Stay tuned to find out! I'll be liveblogging my word count, mood, and interesting plot twists all day. Isn't that exciting?! Yes, while you're out searching out the shopping deals, I'll be here torturing myself with this awful project.

Feel free to leave words of encouragement.

xoxo
mary

Updates
10:15 AM. 40,354 words. There are ants on my desk. They are bothering me, but there aren't enough to warrant declaring this an ant emergency. I will continue to write.

10:41 AM. 41,159 words. Damn these ants.

10:55 AM. 41,258 words. I hear that the dryer is stopped. I will take a small break to pee and fold clothes.

11:25 AM. Returning to my desk. Clothes are folded and I've got a new cup of hot tea by my side. I'm ready to write!

11:32 AM. 41,582 words. I've decided that I'd really rather be painting my front door right now.

11:42 AM. 42,013 words. Don't forget to save!

11:54 AM. 42, 301 words. I'm getting hungry. Time to break for lunch.

12:59 PM. Back from lunch. I made Creamy Brussels Sprouts except we didn't have any brussels sprouts so I used broccoli. It was fantastic. I think I could eat wood chips if they were simmered in heavy cream and nutmeg, then covered with a blanket of fresh-grated parmesan cheese. Anyway, back to the novel.

1:11 PM. 42,516 words. Mike took the kids to Home Depot and Target. I just wrote the following sentence: She sat on the bed with her hands underneath her thighs and gazed up at her therapist with a look of crazed anticipation. Ha! It's my novel and I'll suck if I want to!

1:49 PM. 43,359 words. Dancing break. I need candy, too. And more hot tea.

2:12 PM. I have been fortified with two chocolate chip cookies and a cup of green tea with lemon and honey. Also, I washed my face and shook my booty to "Don't You Wish Your Girlfriend Was Hot Like Me" by The Pussycat Dolls. I am ready to proceed.

2:48 PM. 43,844 words. A crucial part of the plot is revealing itself as I write. I'm in a groove. Finally!

3:04 PM. 44,374 words. I'm desperate to get to 45,000! My left wrist is starting to hurt. I take a break to change Thomas's diaper.

3:40 PM. 45,095 words. Hurrah! Time for a fifteen minute break while I contemplate how this novel will end.

3:59 PM. I'm back. I emptied the dishwasher and got a cup of coffee. Unfortunately, I forgot to think about the ending of my novel.

4:11 PM. 45,398 words. The words aren't flowing as quickly as before. I'm stumped about the ending. Maybe I'll go back and add a few dream sequences to bring up my word count.

4:39 PM. 45,612 words. Whose idea was this?!?!

4:56 PM. 46,084 words. Stopping for dinner. 4,000 words to go.

5:43 PM. Back from dinner. Guess what I had? Yes, a bowl of starch: stuffing, mashed potatoes, and sweet potatoes. I'm getting just a tad bit sick of Thanksgiving food.

6:08 PM. 46,817 words. It's not going to feel very good until it's over, but I'm pretty sure I can finish this tonight. Maybe even in time to enjoy a glass or two of champagne while watching "Law and Order." Oh, the joy!

6:57 PM. 47,206 words. So I'm thinking that writing 1/5 of your novel in one day couldn't possibly be good for your novel. If you know what I mean.

7:18 PM. 47,962 words. My wrist is aching. I am going to take a short break to get some water and help the kids into their jammies. Mike's been great, taking care of them all day while I've been holed up in my office.

6:57 PM. 47,206 words. So I'm thinking that writing 1/5 of your novel in one day couldn't possibly be good for your novel. If you know what I mean.

7:18 PM. 47,962 words. My wrist is aching. I am going to take a short break to get some water and help the kids into their jammies. Mike's been great, taking care of them all day while I've been holed up in my office.

7:48 PM. I'm back. I took two advils so I hope that helps with my wrist pain. Only 2,038 words to go!

8:11 PM. 48,638 words. The thought of reaching The End is driving me to type as fast as my aching wrists will allow.

8:23 PM. 48,841 words. I just saved my Word document as a .txt file and uploaded it to the official NaNoWriMo website to verify my word count. I'm almost there! Man, I need a drink.

8:54 PM. 49,548 words. Less than 500 words to go! And I've got all of my main characters in the final scene so there's lots of dialogue and lots of opportunity for words to be spoken. Does that make sense? Ah, who cares. All I know is, I'm almost done!

9:24 PM. 50,354 words. I got carried away at the end in a desperate attempt to make sense of a story written in 25 days.

9:27 PM. LOOK WHAT I GOT!



Good night. I'm off to drink champagne. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

***
Technorati tags: ,