My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Sunday, January 07, 2007

 

Operation Home From Vacation

We made it back from San Diego. And six loads of laundry later, I can say honestly that I am not all that excited to be home. Oh, and Emily is sick, too. She's been vomiting all day, and she now knows how to go to the garbage can when she needs to get sick. *sniff* My baby is growing up! I'm pretty sure we'll be missing our first Mom's Gym class tomorrow. Poor, sweet girl. I hope this is just a 24-hour bug and that she feels better soon. Oh, and also that Thomas doesn't get it.

The drive north on I-5 from San Diego was uneventful. We stopped off in Los Angeles to visit some friends and have lunch on Sunset Blvd. There were so many stores! Alas, I couldn't go in any seeing as how we were on the road. Maybe it's just as well; after weeks of holiday eating, I'm not feeling my most svelte. I did manage to go to the gym today in between loads of laundry. It was crowded so I imagine I'm not the only person who has "work out more" on her list of New Year's resolutions.

I missed drinking on vacation less than I thought I would. The only time I really wanted a drink (or two or three) was right before dinner. I'm used to having a glass of wine as a way to relax from the day. And I have to admit that a buzz also makes the whole notion of family dinner less aggravating and more enjoyable. Sometimes all I want to do is eat my dinner in peace and quiet, without having to hear whining, to discipline somebody for banging on the table with his fork, or to witness a child's gag reflex work when he's shoved too much pasta in his mouth. Is that too much to ask? Yes, alcohol definitely dulled the pain of what often feels akin to eating at a zoo.

But hey, it's 9:15 and both kids are in bed. It's so quiet in here I can hear the clock ticking and the occasional car driving by. I've got water on for tea, a secret stash of ice cream in the freezer (shhh!), and I am starting to unwind. In fact, I'd probably feel incredibly relaxed--perhaps even elated--if it weren't for the fact that Emily is in the next room spending her first night with a bucket by her bed. Poor kid!

I've got hundreds of emails to get through tomorrow; If you emailed me in the past couple of weeks and then heard nothing but wind whistling in the trees, please know that tomorrow's my day to play catch up.