My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

 

Starting at the very beginning


San Mateo County History Museum
Originally uploaded by marytsao.
Let's see. Life since my last blog entry: Three wineries, two art exhibits, two airports, one museum, one facial, one creme brulee, and one box lunch that Martha Stewart could have made. Not in that order.

Last Friday, one of the companies I'm working for this year flew me to southern California for lunch. Commuter flying between northern and southern California would certainly suck if I had to do it regularly, but it's quite fun if I only do it occasionally. I dressed up in my finest "working mom" clothes and managed to read almost an entire book while waiting in airports. Because I was only going for lunch, I forced myself to bring nothing but my purse. I felt quite free and special. While at SFO, I saw an exhibit about Audio Through The Ages.

This past weekend, I drove up to Sonoma with a friend and we spent the weekend being pampered along with other moms from my mothers club. I went wine tasting even though I tasted no wine, and I must say, it was quite difficult to resist imbibing in the nectar of the gods. Oh well. I made it and I appreciated the fact that I didn't need to pass out between wine tasting and dinner at the El Dorado Kitchen. Instead of napping, I went into downtown Sonoma and bought myself a present for my hard-earned sobriety, a ring made by San Francisco artist Amy Faust.

Yesterday, I re-decorated the living room for spring. Today, Mike said he liked it and it "looks nice."

Also today, the kids and I stumbled upon a pretty cool museum while enjoying a sunny day in Redwood City. The San Mateo County History Museum is housed in the restored old San Mateo County Courthouse building, and it has a lot of interesting exhibits about San Mateo County's past. It's really quite interesting. It took some creativity on my part to keep the kids engaged, but I was successful and I managed to learn some history of this suburban paradise in which I live.

On the second Friday of each month, the museum hosts a preschool storytime from 2 - 3 pm. This Friday (March 9, 2007) kids will learn about the life of Ohlone Native Americans and get to grind acorns with a mortar and pestle. Grind acorns with a mortar and pestle! I never got to do that when I was a kid!

Time now to enjoy my light, apres-dinner snack (Yes, I'm smirking as I write that) and watch Tivo'd Oprah.

G'night.