My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

 

Experiencing Patriot Day

When I wrote my cheery "Happy Tuesday!" yesterday, I had forgotten that today is September 11, the day we remember the nearly 3,000 people who died on September 11, 2001, now known as Patriot Day. I apologize if I offended anyone.

I've written before about my memories of that day so I won't repeat myself, but I will admit that the smalls signs that commemorated Patriot Day--flags flown at half-staff and on neighbor's homes--reminded me again of the tragedy of senseless deaths.

It seemed somehow appropriate that I parked next to the AIDS Memorial Grove when the kids and I went to Golden Gate Park today. Emily asked me what it was and I explained that it was a garden in honor of the many San Francisco residents who have lost their lives to AIDS. She didn't ask me any follow-up questions; she's still too young to understand a concept like death.

It's difficult to know exactly how to celebrate the "National Day of Prayer and Remembrance for the Victims Of the Terrorist Attacks." I will be interested to see how and in what grade they will discuss Patriot Day in elementary school, if at all. I didn't talk to Emily or Thomas today about the events of September 11, 2001, but I did make sure to have a good time with them and to give them lots of hugs and kisses.

Perhaps the best way to memorialize death is with a celebration of life.

Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows. --Pope Paul VI