My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Thursday, November 22, 2007

 

Gobble, gobble, gobble


Thanksgiving 2007
Originally uploaded by marytsao
It's hard to believe that I'll ever be hungry again. Our friends Dave and Miriam put together the usual spread: turkey, homemade cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls, salad, green beans. Am I missing something? Dessert consisted of pumpkin pie, cheesecake, brownies, and apple tarts. Whipped cream on everything. The company was amazing, and the conversation flowed like wine. The kids entertained themselves, and it was just a nice day all around.

Before we ate, we went around the table and said what we were thankful for. I said that I was thankful for a healthy appetite and for good friends.

Other things for which I am thankful on this fine November day:

  • I made it through the day without drinking, and you know, it's not easy to do that sometimes. Especially when the wine is flowing and memories of Thanksgivings past remind me of how fun it is to wash down turkey with a whole lot of vino. But I refrained and now I'm awake to write this blog post instead of passed out in front of the television. Yay, me.

  • Mike got his private pilot's license! This is the big secret I've hinted about in the past, although for the love of me I can't find the specific blog post in which I did my hinting. A series of unfortunate events delayed him taking his test until today. Yes, that's right, Mike missed Thanksgiving with us and our friends because he was taking this exam. We didn't know he would have to miss the party until today. When we found out, I was happy for Mike that he was finally going to get his chance to take the exam but also a little sorry for myself that I had to go to the party without him. But the feeling passed after I was with my friends, and everything is better now that Mike's passed this freakin' test. He even made it to Thanksgiving dinner in time to enjoy the second round of desserts.

  • My NaNoWriMo word count is up to 42,000. I'd doing it, people. I even wrote 2,000 words today after we got home from our Thanksgiving party. It feels good to know that I've got only 8,000 more words to write and I'll be done. Done!