My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Sunday, April 16, 2006

 

I'm dreaming of a Heineken Premium Light Lager Christmas

Mir from Would Could Shoulda was bragging a while back about some fancy beer she had gotten from some guy named Charlie. I left her a comment about how all I ever get is books, and her friend Charlie emailed me and guess what? A Fed Ex package arrived Friday afternoon filled with beer! Okay, it was just one bottle, but it was in a pretty case and it was just what the doctor ordered.

The timing of the beer for which I sold my soul was apt; my babies (I can call them that until they're thirty) had just opened a wooden pizza that Mike had bought Emily when she was six months old but which I had been keeping all wrapped up nicely on a shelf in hopes that the little smarties wouldn't figure out that it could be opened. Ha ha. I was adding "pick up hundreds of wooden mushrooms" to my list of things to do when the Fed Ex truck arrived.

I decided that my bottle of Heineken Premium Light Lager would go best with sausage pizza. And hey, those kids aren't the only ones in this family who can put toppings on pie, ya know? So I got me one of those Boboli-like ready made pizza crusts. I say "Boboli-like" because I bought an overpriced organic model at Whole Foods made by Alvarado St. Bakery. Even though I scorn, it was worth the money, easy to make and yummy, too.

Here's the recipe (if you can call it that):
Mary's Sausage Pizza

1/2 cup marinara sauce
2 or 3 handfuls shredded mozzarella cheese
3 hot turkey link sausages
1 Alvarado St. Bakery California Style Pizza Bread (or Boboli)


  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  • Squeeze turkey sausage meat out of casings and fry in pan.
  • Meanwhile, spread marinara sauce on Pizza Bread. Leave 1/4 inch around edge sauce-free.
  • Put cheese on top of sauce.
  • When sausage is cooked, place artfully on top of cheese.
  • Cook in preheated oven for 10 minutes.

Serve with Heineken Premium Light Lager.

Here's what the folks at my house who are old enough to drink are saying about Heineken Premium Light Lager:

Mike: "Tastes exactly the same to me."

Me: "I could see chasing the first sip with a thousand more."

Yes, even though this beer has Light in its name, it has a taste reminiscent of good ol' Heineken, a taste reminiscent of ball games and frat parties and other places where I've drunk my weight in beer.

It's probably a good thing Charlie sent me only one of them.

***
Technorati tags: , ,