My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Saturday, April 15, 2006

 

My Literary Mama debut

I'm so excited! A review I wrote for Heidi Raykeil's book Confessions of a Naughty Mommy: How I Found My Lost Libido was accepted by the literary mamas over at Literary Mama and now it's live! Click on this link to check it out.

I like the review I wrote for Raykeil's book and I believe it follows the suggestions for writing a supportive yet critical review given by Charlie Anders in her post What is the purpose of criticism? (Thanks to Badgermama for pointing out Charlie's post.)

Charlie writes:
What is the purpose of criticism? Is it a battering ram against the locked munitions factory of art? Or is it the dollop of vaseline that precedes the rectal thermometer of judgment? Is the critic your psychotic bartender who pours noxious liqueurs into your gin & tonic for your own good, because the nosebleed will prove educational?

I wrote the review of Naughty Mommy before I read Charlie's post, but her post was a great reminder for me of how I can provide both positive as well as critical feedback and how I can do it without my personal likes and dislikes getting in the way of my objectivity.

In other words, I believe I could have been a tad kinder in my review of Sansone's book Woman First, Family Always. This book wasn't for me, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be for you. And without being a psychotic bartender, I could have written a critique that allowed me to sleep at night and you to make up your own mind about whether or not you wanted to spend your hard-earned allowance on Sansone's book. I strive to do better next time.

But in the meantime, I'm gloating over my LM post. I'm a literary mama! Me! From stumbling on the site shortly after the birth of Emily and finding solace in the honest writing it offered to now being a writer whose work is featured on the site. Wow. That's cool. (And thanks to Jennie for helping with the editing of my initial submission!)

***
Technorati tags: ,