My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Monday, July 23, 2007

 

Do you want to see my placenta? Vote yes or no.

Via Marrit of Baldo, I found out about a woman in Las Vegas who went to court to get her placenta back from the hospital where she had her child.

A woman has won a court fight to keep the placenta after her daughter's birth. She had planned to grind it up and ingest it as a way to fight postpartum depression, but now plans to bury it.

In her blog post about the story, Marrit reveals that she never got the chance to see the placenta after her son was born. "[Her] placenta remains a mystery."

I saw the placenta each time my child was born. After Emily was born, the midwife carefully explained to me and Mike its role in nourishing our baby. Mike even took a picture of it. We did not take it home with us.

I am a person who doesn't mind if people see her naked; I'm cool with breastfeeding shots and all of that. However, I thought twice before posting the picture of my placenta on the Internets. I hesitated because it's bloody. It looks like a giant lung with an umbilical cord attached to it in a hospital pan covered with blood.

Is my placenta TMI?

Do you want to see a picture of my placenta? Vote yes or no. You may comment anonymously if you wish.