My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Sunday, May 14, 2006

 

I survived Mother's Day 2006

Without even telling Mike what it was that I wanted, I got it: two days of a little me time, a little family time, and a lot of drinks. Also, a present. Are you ready for this? For Mother's Day 2006, Mike got me...a Scooba!

2006: The year of the Scooba

I am such a housewife.

Yesterday, I went to brunch with friends from my Moms Club. Good company, good food, excellent champagne. I could have gone straight home after brunch completely satisfied and happy.

Except I didn't. Instead, I stopped off at the mall and got all kinds of cute new clothes to wear to... Disneyland! (I talked Mike into it; we're going in early June.) Or the park. Or Target. Or wherever. Do you know how nice it was to go shopping alone? I actually went to three stores and tried stuff on at each store. And in one store I waited in a long line and nobody was crying or pulling at my skirt. It was weird. But good.

Last night, we went out to dinner at our local Chevy's. I had a great conversation with a new mom while we were waiting for our table. She had 12-week old identical twin girls. It was the third time she and her husband had gone out to dinner together since the babies were born. She was nice to talk to, and (and!) she gave me a coupon for 1/2 off our second entree and wished me a Happy Mother's Day. I was feeling the mom-to-mom love.

Because we saved so much on our second entree, we could afford to get me the muy grande margarita. Here I am wasting away again in Margaritaville:

The mom

This morning, Mike woke up with Thomas without me having to nudge him off the bed. I was able to lounge around until 8:30, which is ninety minutes longer than I usually get to sleep; it was great. Then Mike woke me up with homemade french toast, sausages, and strawberries cut into hearts. Awwww. Also a glass of mimosa, although I waited until I had brushed my teeth before taking a sip. I haven't rolled out of bed and immediately started drinking in quite some time. No, really.

After breakfast, Mike and Thomas decided they were tired from all of that hard work. When I came out of my office after checking my email, I found a mess waiting for me in the kitchen:

Mother's Day carnage

And these two curled up in bed:

Cooking is hard work

That's when I remembered there is no rest for the mother, even on Mother's Day. But the cleanup wasn't too bad, and the rest of the day we puttered around the house and the yard. In the afternoon, Mike took both of the kids to Home Depot and Trader Joe's while I stayed home and enjoyed the silence. That was nice.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go figure out what I have to do to "make mopping a distant memory." Look for Scooba blogging soon!

***
Technorati tags: , ,