My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Sunday, January 14, 2007

 

Clean playroom makes suburban mom smile


1-14-07
Originally uploaded by marytsao.
Today was a mellow, at-home day. It's cold as heck outside and Mike hasn't been feeling well, so we stayed indoors. I worked out, did some yoga, checked my email, took a shower, and then got so bored with the same 'ol routine that I decided today was the day that I would clean and organize the kids's playroom.

Five bags of garbage and four bags of toys for Samaritan House later, I'm happy to say, "mission accomplished." Here I am standing in front of organized shelves. Woo hoo!

The best part of the event was when Emily and I gathered up all of the stuffed animals in the middle of the room and decided which to keep and which to give to kids who don't have any stuffed animals. I would hold one up and say, "keep or give?" To which she usually would reply, "give!" After we finished with the stuffed animals and were organizing the rest of the toys, she would periodically say something like, "I'm going to give this pumpkin to a kid who doesn't have one," or "Mommy, are you giving that book to a kid who doesn't have any?" It was sweet.

Emily's getting really good at organizing like objects. She can fly through all of our wooden puzzles, including new ones that she's never before seen. She was a real help organizing the toys. She also got dressed all by herself today, and she didn't once ask for help to go to the bathroom. She's also drinking 100% from regular cups -- no more sippys! Lots of milestones at the tender age of three-and-a-half. I have a feeling it won't be long before she's asking to borrow the car keys...


Oh, I almost forgot another one of Emily's firsts: her first stick figure!

Emily's first stick figure