My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Thursday, January 11, 2007

 

Let them eat banana

The kids are better! I submit the following as photographic evidence of their wellness:

Well_Kids


It got worse before it got better, and yesterday we took both of them to the doctor after Emily projectile vomited all over the couch and then curled up in the fetal position crying and complaining that her stomach hurt. I feared appendicitis; it turned out to be gas. Both kids have gastroenteritis, which is the medical term for "uncontrollable vomiting and diarrhea for five days".

Yes, I'm thankful they did not get sick on vacation. If my car smelled anything like Thomas's rug, I'd be contemplating its trade-in value.

Not that I've been in the car lately since we're effectively housebound. It's a little bit like Little House on the Prarie except with radiant heat and online shopping and without the snow drifts. But the smell of chicken soup and banana bread is in the air, and the kids have requested and are eating both. Yay! Emily stayed home from school again today, but I anticipate both kids will be up and ready to enjoy the upcoming three-day weekend.

Mike has Monday off to celebrate the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. Lots of museums in San Francisco are open on Monday because of this special day so I'm hoping I can persuade Mike to take a field trip with us into The City. I'd love to go to the waterfall feature of Yerba Buena Gardens to read King's "I Have a Dream" speech, which is etched in the stone behind the waterfall. Before then I'm going to journey to my local independent bookseller to get a picture book for the kids about MLK and why we celebrate his birthday.

Well, I'd better get back to my online shopping. I found these completely non-sensible wedge heels from Abaete for Payless (only $25!) in my latest copy of InStyle magazine. The color will go really well with playground sand, don't you agree?