My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

 

Lang Lang!


Lang Lang
Originally uploaded by Danlynn.
Yesterday while perusing the Events section of my local paper, I found out that Lang Lang was performing at the Davies Symphony Hall. I made a snap decision -- I have to go! -- and purchased a ticket to pick up at Will Call.

It was the best decision I've made in a long time.

The concert was wonderful. For those of you unfamiliar with this man or his music, he is a pianist from China. He is only 24 years old, and his is amazing. Watching him perform, one begins to understand the immensity of the human potential. After watching him for over two hours (including 2 encores after standing ovations), I can tell you that he's a musician who takes your breath away with his talent.

He's charasmatic, too, and the mostly Chinese audience in San Francisco clearly loved him to pieces. It was one of the happiest crowds I've ever seen at the symphony. Many people brought their children, and made it a family affair. I went alone, but because I saved so much money by not getting a babysitter (Mike stayed home), I splurged and got a box seat. Awesome! The view was great. I was able to see his face and the facial expressions he used to explain and interpret the pieces he played. Although judging from this video on Google, watching him from the back is just as good. He's playing Liszt in the video; he played it last night, too, although my audience was stomping its feet in time to the music. Fun!

Some critics fault his showmanship, but he's no Liberace; he's just passionate about the music. His playing will make you consider buying your child a piano instead of a plastic race car. He started piano lessons at the age of three and is an example of a child whose parents didn't ask I wonder what he will become? and instead asked, What can we make of him? In his case, the personal sacrifices his parents made certainly paid off.

If Lang Lang ever comes to your town, go see him!