My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Monday, April 02, 2007

 

Moms say 'Wii do'


Playing Wii
Originally uploaded by marytsao.
I've been doing a lot of nice things lately for Mike and he's starting to get suspicious. I'm not plotting anything, I swear! The truth is that after talking to a bunch of moms on my most recent Mom's Weekend Away, I realized that I needed to practice a little more of what I preach, namely that my relationship with Mike is just as important as the relationships I have with my kids. I believe in our marriage, and I know that keeping it alive and thriving takes work.

So When the kind folks over at Nintendo asked me if I wanted to check out the Wii video game console, I agreed. I knew Mike would like it, and I knew it would be something he and I could do together that doesn't require me to shave my legs. If you know what I mean.

I'm not entirely sure what the Nintendo people thought I would do with my Wii console. Perhaps they wanted me to get all excited about it, then have a girl's night out slumber party where the moms in attendance would alternate between braiding hair, throwing back shots of Tequila, and playing Wii tennis.

That still might happen.

But in the meantime, I'm all about pleasing my man with my cool new toy. Now I'm no stranger to getting a guy's game on with the purchase of a video game console. For Mike's 33rd birthday, I bought him a Nintendo Game Cube. He like it, but I hated it. Maybe it was because I was pregnant, but every time I heard the opening music to Animal Crossing, I wanted to vomit.

But the Wii is cool and I am excited about it. I'm not pregnant so maybe I'm just a happier person in general, but I'm very happy about the slender white box that sits so daintily next to our TV. The perfectly weighted controllers are so much more civilized than anything that requires me to have double jointed thumbs, and the games it comes with--bowling, baseball, Wii fitness, tennis--are my idea of fun.

The kids like the Wii, too, and with the exception of boxing, I'm more than willing to teach them how to play Wii Sports. Emily's getting to be a pretty good bowler, and because we play as a family, we can encourage her progress as well as start to instill ideas such as team spirit, rooting for others, and good sportsmanship.

Probably the only thing Mike doesn't like about the Wii is that according to Wii fitness, he's 47 years old. Hee hee.

Yes, I'm a girl and even a M-O-M, but so what. Nintendo is happy as pie to tap into the mommy market and I'm more than happy to help them do it. If you know how to french braid (I'm so 80s), you can come on over and check out my Wii. Doubles, anyone?