My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

 

Mommybloggers in conversation with Elizabeth Edwards

[Updated on 10/25/06: Please be sure and read Stefania of City Mama's post about the meeting as well as Charlene of Crazed Parent's and Glennia of the Silent I's. Bonggamom and BethB of the Silicon Valley Moms Blog have posts up, too. All of the posts are wonderfully written and fill in lots of the blanks I've left here.]

I had a real treat this afternoon. I got to spend some time with Elizabeth Edwards, wife of presidential hopeful John Edwards and author of the book Saving Graces: Finding Solace and Strength from Friends and Strangers.

Elizabeth (I guess since we've met we can be on a first name basis) was in town for various parties and to promote Saving Graces. Her people coordinated with the Silicon Valley Moms Blog to put together a meeting with local mommybloggers, and I was honored to be asked to participate in the conversation by my friends Jill and Beth over at SV Moms.

There were about fifteen mommybloggers there, including Charlene of Crazed Parent and Stefania of City Mama. (As an aside, I strongly encourage all of you mommybloggers out there to do meet-ups with your fellow local bloggers. I know many of you do and can attest to the fact that it's extremely rewarding on many levels.)

We spoke with Elizabeth about her book and also about how she found solace in various online communities after the death of her son. Silicon Valley physician and friend-to-mommybloggers Enoch Choi liveblogged the event and took pictures. Thanks, Enoch!

I was so excited to have the opportunity to meet this woman and I wasn't disappointed. It was obvious from the minute she walked in the room that she is kind, warm, yet professional, too. She truly wanted to have a conversation with some local mothers, and that's what we had. If I had to describe Elizabeth in one word, the word would be: genuine.

Elizabeth Edwards and me. Photo credit: Enoch Choi


And who knows, maybe she'll be First Lady in a couple of years. She'd make a good one.

***
Technorati tags: ,