My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

 

WAHM bam, thank you, ma'm

Taking a break from doing the monthly newsletter for my Mothers Club. Since I'm sipping a glass of champagne and a newly-rented DVD is enticing me from the table, I have a feeling this break might last all night. Ah, well. There's always tomorrow, right?

Besides, I was a very good girl today and was very productive. Except that I didn't finish the newsletter. But I did get a whole lot of it done. It's now at the stage where I think I have only two hours more work on it although that probably means I have closer to three. I'm going to try and get it done tomorrow morning while Emily is at preschool. Unfortunately that means I'll miss both my bad mom's coffee date and playgroup, but I suppose one of the drawbacks of being a work-at-home mom is that you don't fall in either the SAHM camp or the work-outside-the-home camp. I don't have a strict off-site job that dictates my schedule, but if I want to retain the luxury of being able to pick and choose which activities I do, I sometimes have to choose work instead of play. What a rip!

I've decided to officially start referring to myself as a work-at-home mom, a WAHM. It's certainly true and it's getting even truer (a word?) now that I'm in negotiations to do some freelance writing work. With the work I do for my Mothers Club, the writing I do for BlogHer, and this new gig, my days are pleasantly full. Which--of course--is how I like them to be since I seem to be stricken with a strain of Protestant work ethic.

Things feel good; busy feels good. I like that I have the time and resources to do a variety of projects, including some that are on a volunteer basis and some that are paid. And have time for kid-related activities. My munchkins need me! And I need them, too.

Except that it does suck if I have to miss both bad mom's coffee and playgroup... Hmmm... Tune in tomorrow to see if I repeat the mantra There's always tomorrow!

***
Technorati tags: ,